To some extent, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. According to Statistica, 60% of women surveyed in 2017 consider themselves to be beautiful. The survey was conducted for three consecutive years, and it suggests that each year, more women consider themselves to be beautiful. It’s not clear what could be driving this change in self-perception among women.
According to another study data published by OKCupid, women find ~7% of men to be “above average” in attractiveness.
The study also revealed that men consider ~40% of women to be ‘above average’ in attractiveness.
So to answer the question of what percentage of the world’s population is beautiful, we could say that 40% of women and 7% of men are considered attractive to the opposite sex.
What country has the most beautiful people in the world?
There is no one answer to this question. It depends on your personal preferences. However, the World Population Review has listed the countries with the most beautiful women in 2022 according to four different sources – Definition, BScholarly, Missosology, and ScoopWhoop. Each source has a different take on what countries are included in the top 10, but the recurring ones are:
- United States
Why do people want to be beautiful?
People want to be beautiful for many different reasons. Some people want to feel good about themselves and think that being beautiful is a part of that. Others may feel pressure from society or friends to look a certain way. Some people just enjoy looking good and feel that beauty is something to be proud of. But probably the biggest benefit to being beautiful is having a greater variety of choices in the dating market. People who are more beautiful have more prospective partners to choose from. A part of being a highly desirable person in the dating market is the attention that comes with it. As humans, we enjoy receiving positive attention from others as it contributes to our sense of self-worth.
Why might people think that you must need to be thin to be beautiful?
Many people believe that you need to be thin to be considered beautiful. The truth is that regardless of our age, appearance, health, gender, sexual orientation, or weight on the scale, there are still a lot of body image issues that affect us as a culture. There are two different perspectives on this matter.
Today, obesity is a significant risk factor for health issues; a person who is normal weight is typically healthier than a person who is overweight. All animals, including humans, base their mating decisions at least in part (if not entirely) on reproductive fitness: will this partner be in good enough health to pass on my genes? Obesity is a health risk and, as such, may be coded into the psyche of many as an undesirable trait.
Supply and demand
Things that are scarce tend to be more highly regarded than things that are very commonly available, which is a concept that is rather simple to understand. The vast majority of people in our culture (and many others throughout the world) are overweight or obese. Because most people are overweight, thinner people are by definition more uncommon and in higher demand. Furthermore, as our nation becomes more obese, slender people will be regarded more scarce for their physical attributes. This is merely fundamental economics; it is not a value judgment of worth.
Why do people want to destroy beautiful people?
There’s something about beautiful people that attracts haters. Maybe it’s the sense of entitlement they seem to carry with them inherently. Maybe it’s the fact that they know their worth because they are frequently adorned with flattering comments. Whatever the reason, beautiful people, particularly those with some degree of fame, will always have critics of their physical appearance.
One theory is that some people feel threatened by the beauty of beautiful people. They may lack the same confidence they see beautiful people have, or they may feel jealous of the attention that beautiful people get from other beautiful people.
Another theory is that females, in particular, may feel threatened by more beautiful females because they pose a threat to their ability to attract or maintain the attraction of high-quality males. In simple terms, a woman may not like her boyfriend to have female friends that are more attractive than she is because she might worry that there is a high probability for that friendship to convert into something romantic due to the boyfriend’s female friend being more attractive than her. It’s similar to single girls. Single girls effectively compete for high-quality males. Better-looking women have a higher chance of winning the desired males, so it may be in the interest of some women to speak ill of others who are more beautiful than they are.
Why are beautiful people single?
There are several reasons why beautiful people are often single. Relationship Rules has listed some possible answers to this question.
- People easily assume that they are taken. We automatically think that someone is in a committed relationship if we find them to be beautiful. Because they are aware that they will be rejected, people frequently choose not even to try. In essence, our presumptions and assessments about particular stereotypes are what discourage us from pursuing an attractive person. Someone is not automatically a dedicated person just because they are physically appealing or have other attractive features.
- Attractive people might be viewed as snobbish or picky. It is commonly believed that attractive women will only consider or go out with other attractive people. The issue with society is that we perceive relationships between two persons with different physical characteristics as being “mismatched”. Since this way of thinking has persisted for so long, many young people believe that it makes sense to date someone who is similarly appealing to them.
- Trust issues. These trust concerns are a result of how attractive people are treated. It’s disturbing how people are discouraged from having a particular appearance out of fear or prejudice. Some people continue to be wary and are constantly speculating about their partners’ motivations, which frequently results in arguments and mistrust and eventually causes the relationship to end. As a result, many attractive people would choose to remain single rather than experience repeated heartbreak or being used.
- Societal standards. Nobody wants to be an outcast in society, and everyone who disobeys social norms is an outcast. More often than not, attractive people feel compelled to date someone that society would find “acceptable.”
What age are people most beautiful?
In the thirties, both men and women are thought to be at their most attractive, according to a US survey of 2,000 people. According to the survey by Allure magazine, women are deemed to be their most attractive at age 30, start to age at age 41, cease to be sexually appealing at age 53, and are deemed to be “old” by age 55. On the other hand, men reach their peak physical attractiveness at 34, begin to age at 41, and stop looking “fine” at 58.
Why are beautiful people more intelligent?
There is a popular belief that people who are physically attractive are more intelligent. While most researchers dismiss this perception as little more than a “stereotype,” research by Science Direct has proven it to be true.
good-looking people may be up to 14% smarter than less attractive people, according to the study.
The theory as to why good-looking people are more intelligent than their less good-looking counterparts goes something like this:
- Good-looking people get more attention, encouragement, and praise
- Attention, encouragement, and praise results in greater confidence, pride, and ultimately better focus in activities.
- Confidence, pride, and focus lead to overperformance and exceeding in activities
- This lays the way for success
Why are beautiful people uninteresting?
Many people believe that being beautiful is a disadvantage. They argue that beautiful people are uninteresting and don’t have any distinct personalities. Physically attractive people tend to place more emphasis on conformity and self-promotion than independence and tolerance, according to a group of scientists who set out to determine if beautiful people also had attractive character qualities and values.
Whether or not beautiful people really are uninteresting is a matter of perspective, i.e., who finds them uninteresting? What are beautiful people interested in, and why is that not interesting to you?
Certainly, people who are very focused on the topic of beauty might be uninteresting to those who have little interest in the topic. But many people who are interested in beauty, cosmetics, and selfies are not actually physically beautiful people; they are merely people interested in acquiring or enhancing beauty through cosmetic means.
Another reason why beautiful people may be deemed uninteresting is that they tend to have higher intelligence. It’s a known fact that people who are beautiful have higher IQs than those who are not, and it’s also known that people with large differences in IQ tend to have communication problems, which may naturally result in beautiful people and non-beautiful people struggling to find each other interesting.